This is a great dish because it's something the whole family will love, especially the kids AND it's loaded with veggies. Trying to get kids to eat their veggies is a common challenge I see for parents so finding ways to hide them in traditional family favourites like spagetti bolognese is the key.
Another good thing about this one is you can make a large batch and then freeze it into smaller containers as a nutritious meal when you don't have time on your hands. It's also really versatile and can be recreated into a number of other dishes like shepherd's pie, Mexican chilli by adding beans and some chilli for heat, stuffed veggies and loads more!
- 600g lean mince, veal, beef. lamb or a mixture
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 zucchini's, diced
- 3 flat mushrooms, diced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp oregano
- 700g glass jar of passata or tomato puree (do not use tinned as the acid from the tomato leach the chemicals from the tin into the tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (preservative and artificial colouring free)
- Decent pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Add the coconut oil to large non-stick saucepan on medium heat and sauté the onions until they start to brown
- Add the garlic, thyme, oregano and minced meat and cook until the meat is browned and it becomes fragrant
- Add diced carrot zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant and sauté for approx ten minutes
- Add the fresh tomato, tomato passata, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and cinnamon and mix everything together
- Reduce to heat so it's just a gentle simmer and cook covered for 40 minutes
- Remove the lid and cook for another 20 minutes so the water released from the veggies evaporates and it becomes a thick sauce.
- Serve on some pasta, zucchini pasta, steamed veggies or cauliflower mash
Note: You can cook this dish in a shorter amount of time but the longer you cook it the richer the flavour. If you are short on time, just cook uncovered for 40 minutes and it will still taste delicious!