PART 1 – DRY INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups almond meal
- ¼ cup fine desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup flaxseed (linseed) meal
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
PART 2 – Wet Ingredients
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup (This recipe isn't overly sweet but you can add more honey if you like)
- 1/3 cup dates, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 160°C & line your loaf tin (22 x 13cm) with baking paper
- Add the almond meal,flaxseed meal & desiccated coconut into a mixing bowl
- Sift into the bowl the rest of the ingredients in Part 1 & mix together
- Add all the ingredients in Part 2 except for the coconut oil & mix together until well combined
- Heat the coconut oil in the microwave for approx. 20 seconds to soften, add to the mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture into the loaf tin & bake for 40-50 minutes or when a knife comes out clean
- Remove from the tin after about 10 minutes and leave to cool
- Store in the fridge & lasts for up to 1 week
Why is this healthy?
- Free of refined sugar, flour, gluten and trans fats unlike many store bought banana breads which have a negative impact on mood, energy levels, weight and overall health and wellbeing.
- Bananas are a great fuel food, full of potassium which is essential for normal functioning of the brain, nerves, heart and muscles. They are also rich in fibre, which keeps us regular, controls blood sugar and reduce fat storage after meals.
- Almonds are a source of good fats (monounsaturated fats), which help maintain healthy skin and hair. Also a good source of Vitamin E, an anti-oxidant that removes toxic free radicals from our body to prevent disease.
- Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which kills off bacteria, viruses & fungi, helping us to fight infections.